Speech & Drama Team Heads to Districts

Nicole Adams, Editor

Prairie’s Speech and Drama team heads to Monticello High School this Saturday, January 19th for the Large Group District Speech Contest.

Prairie’s team consists of about 45 members, from freshman to seniors. These “speechies” will compete in the categories of Musical Theatre, Short Film, Improv, Ensemble Acting, Reader’s Theatre, and Choral Reading.

Speech members have been preparing for competition for the past few months. Last Thursday, January 10th, Prairie hosted its annual Speech Showcase.

Showcase is a chance for students to perform their pieces in front of a live before going to competition. It helps students to practice and work out all the kinks so they can put on the best show at Districts.

Assistant Speech Coach, Lora Danker, was encouraged by what she saw at Showcase.

“I’m overwhelmingly proud, I really am. There’s so much talent here, it’s incredible. What I try to do is to help provide opportunities and assist as I can, but I really want the work to be organic. I want the students to be creative. I want them to feel freedom of expression. And at Showcase I thought they did an incredible job,” Danker said.

This past week has been critical for members to polish up their pieces before heading to competition. While many will still get the pre-show jitters, most students are ready and excited for Districts.

“I’m very excited. We have a lot of really good groups going and we’ve all been working really hard the past couple months,” said Speech & Drama team president, Caroline Sherman.

It’s easy to feel prepared when Prairie’s speech students are so dedicated to their craft. As Danker said, “I do believe we will be [ready] because our students are as professional as they can be without being professionals.”

After Saturday students will hopefully qualify and be moving onto State Contest on February 2nd.

For those nervous to compete, heed the words of Caroline Sherman: “Be confident…There’s nothing to worry about. You got it. You’re gonna do amazing.”

(Due to expected snowstorm, contest may be postponed to a later date.)