Girls Golf Swings Into the New Season

Alyssa Mulherin, Journalist

On March 11th, Prairie Girls’ Golf began their season of hard work and determination.

After all of the cold weather, the team was finally able to hit the golf course at Airport National this week.

“It’s fun to be able to go out, have fun and be with my friends,” said Junior Lexi Mckernan.

The team’s first meet will be on Thursday, April 4th at Twin Pines Golf Course.

“Our goal this season is to try to finish first or second overall at every meet we attend, because we don’t exactly go to state or anything big like other sports,” said Mckernan.

Due to the recent rainy and snowy weather, the team had been practicing inside until things start to green up.

“The team has prepared for the new season by having indoor morning practices in the gym hitting off mats to help prepare us for when we hit the course.” said Mckernan.

Golf takes a lot of focus and determination, which is something that Mckernan has had to learn over time.

“Golf has taught me patience and pride in my accomplishments,” said Mckernan.

This year will be Mckernan’s third year as a part of Prairie’s Girls’ Golf, but she has been golfing longer than that.

“I started golfing about five years ago because my grandpa, brother and dad all played,” said Mckernan.

You can catch the girls at their upcoming meets on Saturday, April 6th at Benton Community High School, and Tuesday, April 9th at Ellis Golf Course.