Cinderella: A Prairie Fairytale

Cinderella
Back to Article
Back to Article

Cinderella: A Prairie Fairytale

Cinderella

Cinderella

Cinderella

Cinderella

Taylor Griffith, Journalist

One of life’s most magical moments, aside from a fairy godmothers bibbidi-bobbidi-boo, is seeing your first musical live and in theater.

The musical, Cinderella, will be debuting at the Prairie High School Theater, Friday, May 10th at 7:00 pm and Saturday, May 11th at 7:00 pm, but this year is the first time that the theater is going to do a matinee.

A matinee is when a theater performs in the daytime rather than at night, Kami Hill, who’s the director of the musical, wanted the elementary kids to be able to watch Cinderella during the day rather than at night when it’s too late for them.

“That’s what built our program, are those young ones coming and seeing things, and wanting to do those things,” said Hill.

Even the process of picking the roles was hard, or as Hill puts it, “headdesk.” It was hard to choose who she wanted to have in the play and what roles she wanted people to play, especially when nearly 60 people tried out.

“A common misconception is that if you don’t get into the show than your audition was bad, but that’s not the case, usually there’s tons and tons of really good auditions, but you just can’t take everyone,” said Hill.

There are All-State level performers, for both choir and speech and drama, in the cast of Cinderella; including Joanna Moody, Calvin Chadima and Kellyn Howell.

“I really love it when students bring in their own ideas and their own creativity, and they put their own spin on things. And to see everyone’s personalities come together and make something great. I try to tell the cast, ‘try it, if I hate it I’ll tell you. but odds are I won’t hate it. Go play around.’ Because that’s when the fun stuff comes out.” said Hill.

Mark your calendars for May 10th and 11th to see what the Cinderella cast puts together because their performance is a once in a lifetime experience.

“Cinderella’s going to be unique to Prairie, and it’s going to happen one weekend, and that’s it, then it’s done and over and we never see it again because you can’t recreate it,” said Hill.

Cinderella