Teacher by Day, Rockstar by Night

Kuempel
Back to Article
Back to Article

Teacher by Day, Rockstar by Night

Kuempel

Kuempel

Kuempel

Kuempel

Taylor Griffith, Journalist

Andrew Kuempel has been teaching World History at Prairie High School for three years and has been coaching for five.

Kuempel began his love for history as a kid, he was always fascinated by it and decided that he wanted to get a degree in history from the University of Iowa.

When Kuempel went to college he decided not to get a teaching degree. However, when he got his history degree he found out was a terrible idea because there are limited professional opportunities. He went into sales for six years before he started coaching at his high school alma mater Linn-Mar. The experience of coaching led him to decide to teach.

Kuempel had to go back to school to get his teaching degree, which was really stressful for him because he had a full-time job and two kids to take care of.

He then got his job at Prairie being a History teacher, and he loves it.

One of Kuempel’s favorite parts about his job is being able to see students grow throughout the year, both academically and as people.

“You have to care a lot but you can’t let a 15 or 16-year-old get to you personally,” said Kuempel.

Even though Kuempel is a teacher during the day, at night he plays in a band, specifically as a bassist.

As a kid, Kuempel loved going to rock concerts and watching everyone have fun up on stage, he thought being in a band was the coolest thing you could do. With that, he learned how to play the guitar which lead him to play bass.

Kuempel had a band in high school and continues to be in a band now. His band started when he and a friend of his from jazz band would hang out and play music together, and then they found more people that wanted to hang out and play music together.

“I’d prefer to leave my band as a hobby, I love my family and my job too much to leave.”

Kuempel