Hawk Talk

• October 8New Images on Flickr!

Mental Health Days

Carley Hutson, Journalist

High schoolers across the nation have begun to suffer from mental illnesses in staggering numbers. While they hurt on the inside, they can appear completely put-together on the outside.

Approximately one in five youths aged 13 -18 experience a severe mental disorder sometime in their high school careers, according to Child Trends. While a lot needs to be done to help this crisis, one helping hand could be offering Mental Health Days to students.

Not only will these days offer relief to the suffering students, but they will lessen the growing stigma surrounding mental illnesses.

If we begin to normalize the idea of taking care of your mind and body by allowing Mental Health Days, students would realize it isn’t a bad thing to take care of yourself.

“Young adults have a lot more stress now,” said Angela Ammunson, a counselor at Prairie High School, “There’s a lot of new pressure with social media, comparing themselves to the fake lives they see.”

To cope with the constant pressure, a day off could increase one’s emotional and physical health, as long as the day is used productively.

That being said, it would have to be treated like a sick day. Parents would call in, teachers would be understanding, and overall you’d do whatever you need to do to benefit your health.

A student wouldn’t be expected to go to school when they’re vomiting every hour so when the mental equivalent as such is occuring, it should be encouraged to stay home.

But it’s important to keep in mind what the day is actually there for. A few easy ways to increase your mental health is:

• Do a face mask.
  • Take a walk/exercise.
  • Make a healthy meal.
  • Meditate or do some yoga poses.

Remember though, a Mental Health Day won’t solve everything and if you or a loved one is falling into a dark place, call 1-800-273-8255 for a 24-hour suicide hotline.

1 Comment

One Response to “Mental Health Days”

1. Sharon on April 27th, 2019 9:10 am

It would be nice in the work place also, when the few days before an event, are overwhelming it would be nice to have a day or two to decompress. Great article Carly, sometime in certain situations medication is the only answer,I agree exercise, being outdoors, or just getting lost in a funny book that makes you laugh is a lot less expensive the prescription meds.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Mental Health Days

Education

Handwriting Instead Of Handcuffs

• Mental Health Days

Opinion

Guide to a Bad Day

• Mental Health Days

Entertainment

Promposals: Cute, but Awkward

• Mental Health Days

Entertainment

“Us” Movie Review

• Mental Health Days

Features

Depression Is Escalating…

• Mental Health Days

Features

Did it hurt….? When You Were Shot with Cupid’s Arrow?

• Mental Health Days

Features

Semester Of Senioritis

• Mental Health Days

Opinion

Christmas Spirit

• Mental Health Days

Opinion

Epil… WHO?

• Mental Health Days

Opinion

How The Grinch Survived Christmas

The Student News Site of Prairie High School
Mental Health Days