Agriculture Arrives at Last

Mia Moser, Feature Editor

Here at Prairie High school, we have a lot of classes and a lot of teachers. What you may not know is that we have a new class with a new teacher this year! I would like to introduce Ms.Baier.

Ms.Baier is new to the teaching world and Prairie would love to welcome her. She is a wonderful person to be around and is very funny. She has been around agriculture her whole life and her family has owned a farm for over 160 years.

As she grew up, she learned that she wasn’t going to be able to work and continue the farm so, while she was in high school, she fell in love with FFA.  Which is kinda like a club all about agriculture. She felt at home when she was with FFA and loved being around people. In the end, she mixed the two and decided to become an agricultural education teacher. Fun fact: Ms.Baier actually was a certified FFA officer. Her teachers were the ones who inspired her to become a teacher, especially her agriculture teacher. She was one of the first people to tell her that she actually believed in her and that she can do big things and should limit herself to something small and local.

If you haven’t been able to tell our new class that started this year is our agriculture class. The school brought in agriculture mostly because no matter where you go in Iowa, you are surrounded by it. You can go less than 5 minutes away from the school alone and you are dead center in agriculture. In the class you experience many things. From FFA, to hands-on activities, to going out and doing tests. The class just got done with their soil topic, and one thing that they did in that particular topic is they went out to the fields and did soil tests. In the class you mostly do hands on activities. When you enroll in the class and get started, you are automatically in FFA. If you don’t want to be active in FFA and just want to take the class, you definitely can, but the class does get involved extremely. What FFA does is they do an arange of competitions, like debates or hands on things, and it’s all over agriculture! Agriculture is also much more than farming. It includes doing things like making clothes or food. There are over 400 different branches of agriculture and they are not all farming.

I hope you may take an interest in the class or even just want to know more about agriculture. Ms.Baier is a great person and I hope you get to see her this year. She is also at Point for half of the day teaching the younger students about agriculture. If you see her this year though, try to say “hi” or something nice to welcome her into our school, or to just be a nice person.